Why appraise your staff?
The words ‘performance appraisal’ can have such a negative vibe. But really, this is just a formal process to manage how your staff are going, identify issues if there are any, areas they could improve and how you can support them and of course, career progression and remuneration.
Benefits of appraisals are:
- Employees feeling engaged, considered and valued. Good staff like direction and something to work towards
- Provide a good reminder for staff to self-review and consider themselves, “how am I really doing, have I kept up my standards of work?”
- They are a good marker for reward (pay review, conference attendance, or other benefits)
- Provide an opportunity for one-on-one conversation about issues or ideas that can’t be discussed in front of other staff
- Employees get bored, the grass gets greener… if they have some future direction in their role, they may be less inclined to look for that direction somewhere else.
If you’d like help appraising your staff or starting a performance management system, talk to us about how we can help.
A huge benefit of having formal position descriptions and person specifications in place, is having something to measure performance against.
Want to hear more?
Contact Goal Digger for a business consultation and we’ll streamline your roles to make hiring and retaining employees easier.
It all comes down to Performance
We’re often contacted to help employers improve performance with staff that are clearly underperforming.
This is can be a prickly area as an employer, particularly if you haven’t navigated this process before. Yes, employees can be exited for poor performance, and rightly so. But be sure to manage poor performance in a way that is going to work best for your business.
Things to consider
A few key questions if you’ve landed here because you’re experiencing poor performance in your business:
- Does the employee know what is expected of them?
- Have they been adequately trained?
- Are there any other issues facing the employee inside or outside of work?
- Are you prepared to manage the poor performance formally?
Better performance, happier staff
Most organisations will have some form of performance management system whether it’s a formal or informal approach. This largely depends on the size and nature of the business. From the start, it is good to let new employees know how their performance will be reviewed.
Managing performance well pays off with outputs and ensuring that your employees are well matched for their job and are able to work at their best capacity.
Talk to us
Talk to us if you need help to get your staff back on track
If you think you could benefit from working with us, please get in touch. We are only too happy to discuss how we can work for you.
07 393 2424
1136 Fenton Street
OFFICE OPEN HOURS
We are a business that often works off-site with our clients. We advise making a booking in advance.
Join the Goal Digger mailing list
Keep up-to-date with everything going on at Goal Digger. You can unsubscribe at anytime.