We know that the easiest way to find out if you like an occupation or industry is to actually get some intel!
This is where you need to utilise your networks. Find people you know that ‘know people in the know’, or just call up a place where you think you might want to work one day and see if they would be happy for you to come in and see what they do, or interview someone in the job you may want. Trust me, people love to talk about themselves. We have a helpful resource to provide you a list of questions you may want to ask and have included them as follows:
- What is your job like?
- What is involved in a typical day?
- What sort of responsibilities do you have?
- What problems do you have to deal with?
- What decisions do you have to make?
- Are there busy or slow times or is the work fairly constant?
- What is the most satisfying thing about your job?
- What is the most dissatisfying/frustrating thing about your job?
Their/Your Career Path:
- Why were you interested in this job?
- How did you get into this job? What is your career history?
- What would you suggest someone wanting this type of role should do in terms of study and or experience?
- How did your study/experience help you in this job?
- Where can this job lead (what other roles)?
- What are the jobs of people you work with?
- What sort of clients/customers do you deal with?
- What is it like working for this company?
- What do they offer for professional development of staff?
- How big is your team?
- What is the culture like?
- What is the staff turnover like (how often are people leaving)?
- Do you feel optimistic about the company’s future?
- Do you feel optimistic about the industries future?
- If you had to give a piece of advice for someone wanting your job, what would it be?
- What sort of skills, areas of knowledge and personality type is best suited to this type of work?
- Do you think that University/Polytechnic reputation is important for a person entering into this work?
TIP: Remember, keep all of your interactions professional and remember their time is precious!